Before installing Gibraltar, you need to have .NET 2.0 SP1 or later installed.
If .NET 2.0 is installed without SP1 or SP2 installation will proceed but the application
will fail to start.
Uninstall any previous version of Gibraltar before installing a new version.
On computers with Visual Studio installed the installation will pause for a while
at 99% while it updates the help content. Please do not interrupt this process
which, depending on the speed of your computer and how many other products have
integrated with Visual Studio Help, may take from one to ten minutes.
This release of Gibraltar includes both a new Analyst and Agent. You are
encouraged to upgrade to the newest Agent at your earliest convenience.
These versions are backwards compatible with previous versions of Gibraltar
(meaning they can open and work with data produced by those versions) however
there were minor updates that will cause a compatibility warning if you attempt
to use an older version of Gibraltar Analyst to read data recorded by this newer
version of the Gibraltar Agent. Accordingly, we recommend upgrading both
Analyst and Agent to the latest version.
New Features in This Release
Gibraltar Agent for ASP.NET
While the Gibraltar Agent has always worked for any .NET 2.0 application, we've
added a specific agent for ASP.NET that provides additional health and
performance monitoring, right out of the box. This feature is integrated
with the Configuration Wizard for easy installation without any code changes.
Read More about Using Gibraltar with ASP.NET
Configuration without configuration files
You can now perform all Gibraltar Agent configuration without using an
application configuration file. Instead, you can specify every
configuration option through your code. This is particularly useful for
monitoring unit tests and for creating single file applications where the Agent
is being merged into your application and it's not viable to have configuration
in a separate file. Of course, you can still do all configuration with application
configuration files just like before.
Read More about doing Agent Configuration through Code
Improved Email Options
It's now much easier to configure email to route through a mail server on an
alternate port and/or using SSL. This can be done through the
configuration wizard or through the API making it easy to use Google Apps or
other restricted email gateways to submit session data.
Read More about Emailing Packages.
Reduced Agent Memory Utilization
We've found ways to reduce the memory usage of the Gibraltar Agent when using
the Live Viewer and in other cases to further ensure that Gibraltar won't
interfere with your production environment. You can read more about what
we did on the
Gibraltar Blog, Rock Solid.
- Fixed: Default live viewer configuration has too many rows (100,000) which
can result in excessive memory utilization. Reduced to 10,000.
- Fixed: Packaging session data where one or more sessions is in multiple
files uses an excessive amount of memory which is ultimately released when the
package is sent.
- Fixed: Agent fails to prune old files if there is more than 2GB of session
- Fixed: Live Viewer isn't using the current OS Font for ClearType text
rendering, instead it's using MS Sans Serif.
- Fixed: Crashed sessions can get stuck as running if they were being
debugged in Visual Studio and stopped while performing maintenance.
- Fixed: Title of sessions list grid would never get cleared from its
design-time value if the current repository view had no sessions at all.
- Fixed: Analyst keeps opened sessions in memory forever.
- Fixed: Exporting the local sessions repository doesn't skip running
sessions, causing it to report errors.
- Fixed: Pie Charts aren't displaying ratios as a percentage but instead in
- Fixed: Analyst crashes on startup if .NET 2.0 SP1 is not installed.
It will now report that .NET 2.0 SP1 is required.
- Fixed: Windows 2000 and some Windows XP systems immediately report that
the evaluation period has expired.
- Fixed: Unable to import multiple packages at the same time using the
Import Files feature.
- Fixed: Unable to use the Folder Merge due to an exception.
- Fixed: Session summary information for local sessions (primarily message
counts and end time) can be far off for crashed sessions.