Frequently Asked Questions - Try It
This FAQ answers general questions that have come up for people considering a Loupe
- Why do I need Loupe?
- Where does it fit in my software development process?
- What are the key parts of Loupe?
- What type of applications will Loupe work with?
- How safe is Loupe? Will it slow down my application? Use a lot of memory or
- How easy is it to distribute Loupe?
Have more questions? Please contact us or have a live chat with one of our developers so we can make
sure all your questions are answered.
Licensing FAQ and
Subscriptions FAQ provide focus on commerical questions, mostly involving Loupe Server.
The Support FAQ
answers technical questions that have been asked by Loupe users.
Why do I need Loupe?
Loupe makes it easier to develop and support your applications. It tracks errors,
performance metrics, and feature usage so have a better understanding of your users
and where you should be focusing development efforts. (more...)
Where does it fit in my software development process?
Loupe helps during construction, test, and maintenance.
- In development, Loupe complements debuggers and profilers to fix bugs and bottlenecks.
- In system testing, Loupe simplifies the the process of reproducing and correcting
- During beta testing, Loupe can track who's run the software, how often and
which features they're using.
- After release, Loupe streamlines customer support and provides the detailed
usage information to guide an ongoing customer experience improvement program (CEIP).
What are the key parts of Loupe?
Loupe consists of three parts:
- Loupe Agent is a lightweight .NET assembly that runs in-process within your
applications safely and efficiently collecting errors, events, metrics and configuration
- Loupe Desktop is a desktop application used to manage and analyze Loupe
- Loupe Server is a powerful web application brings your data and your team together.
What type of applications will Gibraltar work with?
The Gibraltar Agent is compatible with any .NET application using .NET 2.0 and later.
It has special features for
ASP.NET as well as
WinForms/WPF applications and it's also useful for Windows/web services.
How safe is Loupe? Will it slow down my application? Use a lot of memory or
Loupe was designed to do no harm from day one. It's safe and efficient in highly
multithreaded or single threaded applications and does the vast majority of its
work on background threads so as to cause negligible latency to your applications.
It makes efficient use of memory and writes data to compressed files to mimimize
disk consumption. Moreover, Loupe manages local storage consumption within configurable
storage limits and can automate transmission of logs by email or web service calls.
Log transmission is restartable, transactional and tolerant of intermittent network
How easy is it to distribute Loupe?
The only file you need to add to your distribution is the Loupe Agent, housed
in one assembly. At your discretion you can also distribute
the Packager to make it easier for end users to submit diagnostic information to
you. More details on deploying Loupe are
in our documentation.